At Beckwithshaw Primary School, we strive to teach children to read effectively and quickly using Letters and Sounds and Jolly Phonics which sets out a detailed and systematic programme for teaching phonic skills for children starting by the age of five, with the aim of them becoming fluent readers by age seven. The Letters and Sounds programme is separated into six phases.
The ability to read is fundamental to many aspects of life, is central to sustained progress and in developing an understanding across all areas of the curriculum. The teaching of reading is given a high priority by all staff. Success and a passion for reading are crucial in building a child’s self-confidence and motivation to lifelong learning. We use Dandelion Readers to help support reading alongside our early phonics.
We want to:
• Develop fluent, confident and independent readers through a structured focus on word, sentence and text knowledge.
• Encourage children to become enthusiastic and reflective readers by teaching them to understand and respond to a variety of texts.
• Give children the confidence to read aloud with expression and with clarity.
• Develop and extend the children’s vocabulary through shared and guided reading.
• Help children to enjoy and have a ‘love of reading’ whilst recognising its value.